In recent years, Monica Lewinsky has spoken out about the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal that rocked America, subsequently staying quiet for over a decade.

Impeachment: American Criminal offence Story, which is now airing on FX every Tuesday, has brought renewed attending to these events.

Lewinsky serves as a co-producer on the FX series, which brings the scandal to life from the perspective of the three women at the middle of information technology Lewinsky (played past Beanie Feldstein), Linda Tripp (Sarah Paulson), and Paula Jones (Annaleigh Ashford).

Newsweek takes a await at everything Lewinsky has said about the Nib Clinton scandal so far.

What Monica Lewinsky Has Said About The Pecker Clinton Scandal

1990s

In Jan 1998, Lewinsky, a former White House intern and sitting U.South. President Nib Clinton'south affair became public knowledge. The relationship took place between between 1995 and 1997.

Both had denied having any 'sexual relations' under oath (Lewinsky in a signed affidavit and Clinton in a deposition January 1998) in the Jones v. Clinton ceremonious instance. That same month on January 26, 1998 Clinton infamously declared during a live printing briefing in response to rumours of the affair: "I did not take sexual relations with that adult female."

The Business firm of Representatives impeached Clinton on Dec 19, 1998, on the grounds of committing perjury and obstruction of justice subsequently evidence of a sexual human relationship came to light. This included taped phone conversations of Lewinsky with ex-White Firm staffer Linda Tripp and an alleged semen-stained dress.

Clinton was acquitted by the Senate on February 12, 1999.

Reflecting on the moment the scandal broke in 1998 in a 2018 interview with ABC News, Lewinsky shared she contemplated suicide.

As the FBI'southward investigation into their affair intensified, she revealed she was left "hysterically crying" and would "shut down."

Lewinsky shared: "In the close-downward period I remember looking out the window and thinking the only way to ready this was to kill myself -- was to leap out the window. I felt terrible. I was scared and was mortified and afraid of what this was going to do to my family. You know I was still in love with Bill at the fourth dimension so I felt actually responsible."

The 2000s and 2010s

From 2005, Lewinsky avoided the spotlight, moving to the U.K. to written report for a chief'due south caste in psychology at the London School of Economics.

She bounced back into the public domain in 2014 with an essay in Vanity Fair chosen "Shame and Survival", and in 2015 Lewinsky's Ted Talk "The Toll of Shame" went viral.

In her Ted Talk, Lewinsky partially recounted the impact the scandal had on her and the problem of online harassment in club, referring to herself as "Patient Aught of losing a personal reputation on a global scale almost instantaneously".

Lewinsky ended: "I'd like to end on a personal note. In the past nine months, the question I've been asked the most is "Why?" Why now? Why was I sticking my head higher up the parapet? You tin can read betwixt the lines in those questions, and the reply has cipher to exercise with politics. The top-annotation answer was and is 'Considering it's time.' Time to stop tiptoeing around my past, fourth dimension to stop living a life of opprobrium, and fourth dimension to take back my narrative."

In the late 2010s, Lewinsky became an anti-cyber-bullying activist and a key player in the #MeToo Motion. She also serves as an ambassador and strategic advisor for the anti-bullying organization Bystander Revolution.

Speaking on TODAY in September 2021, Lewinsky also revealed during the 2000s and 2010s she struggled with Clinton's lack of apology.

She said: "There was a long period earlier my life changed [in] the last six or seven years when I felt a lot in terms of at that place non being that resolution. And I'thou very grateful that I don't have that feeling anymore. I don't need it.

"He should want to apologize for in the same way that I want to apologize whatever chance I get to people that I've hurt and my actions accept hurt."

Clinton has apologized to Lewinsky publicly only not privately.

In June 2018 he told Stephen Colbert: "Hither's what I want to say: It wasn't my finest hour, but the important thing is that was a very painful affair that happened twenty years agone and I apologized to my family unit, to Monica Lewinsky and her family, to the American people. I meant it then, I meant information technology now. I've had to alive the consequences every 24-hour interval since."

Monica Lewinsky Bill Clinton
Monica Lewinsky has spoken out about the Bill Clinton matter Rich Fury/WireImage

Present Day and 'Impeachment: American Crime Story'

Speaking on CNN's The Lead with Jake Tapper evidence on Tuesday, October v, 2021, Lewinsky described Beak Clinton's role in their affair scandal as "wholly inappropriate".

She expressed her concern over the power dynamics in their human relationship and the meaning age gap Clinton was 27 years her senior at the fourth dimension.

She explained to host Jake Tapper: "I recall what's really of import to remember in today's earth is that nosotros never should have even gotten to a place where consent was a question."

"So it was wholly inappropriate every bit the most powerful man, my boss, 49 years old. I was 22, literally but out of college. And I think that the power differentials in that location are something that I couldn't e'er fathom consequences at 22 that I empathize obviously so differently at 48."

Monica Lewinsky Impeachment American Crime Story
Beanie Feldstein (L) and Monica Lewinsky (R) FX/GETTY

Equally for watching the scandal come to life in Impeachment: American Criminal offence Story and serving every bit a co-producer on the show, Lewinsky told TODAY: "I've actually worn two hats in this project, and so as a producer I'm very proud of the projection, of the evidence."

"And every bit a subject, I'm nervous. I'm nervous for people to run into some of the worst moments of my life and a lot of behavior that I regret."

She added: "I do not recommend watching your early 20s exist dramatized on TV, especially in this instance where the truth really was stranger than fiction."

Impeachment: American Criminal offense Story airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET on FX.

If you have thoughts of suicide, confidential help is available for gratis at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Call 1-800-273-8255 . The line is available 24 hours every mean solar day.